Spring has sprung! It is that time to begin your Spring cleaning.. But where to start?!
Here are 10 tips to make your life easier.
- Make a list of what needs to be cleaned in each room.
- Lists can often help people stay organized and on track with a project. Before tackling the task of spring cleaning, walk through each room and write down what needs to get done. Not to mention, once finished a task, how satisfying it is to cross it out!
- Get out the speaker
- Listening to music not only makes the time go by faster but who doesn’t love a good dance party?
- Divide and conquer
- It is easy to get overwhelmed when you want to clean your whole house at once. If you work on 2-3 rooms each weekend, you’ll get a lot more done and still have free time on the side.
- Which you are going through each room, declutter! Donate those old clothes that you don’t wear anymore, recycling all of those random papers lying around, and get rid of that unnecessary junk.
- Set a timer
- Sometimes it is hard to stay on track when you come across old family photos or good memories. Reader’s Digest says set a timer so you don’t fall into this trap. You can also use it to give yourself a little break here and there.
- Recruit some help
- Kids? Significant other? Roommate? Get them to help! Divvying up the work will cut the cleaning time dramatically.
- Start at the top and work your way down
- This is just the law of gravity — clean from the top of the ceiling to the floor, says Better Homes and Gardens. Knock all the dusty cobwebs from the corner, wash the curtains, clean the windows, dust the furniture, vacuum the furniture and finally, vacuum the floor.
- Use natural cleaners
- Many chemical-based cleaners emit hazardous fumes. Some cleaners, when mixed together, can even emit toxic fumes that can seriously hurt you. No matter what cleaners you use, remember to always read the labels. If you’re looking for alternatives to cleaning products, some people use vinegar as a substitute in the bathroom or kitchen and as a general household cleaning solution, says Better Homes and Garden. (Just remember never to mix vinegar and bleach, as the combination can be dangerous, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Be patient
- Don’t forget to work smarter, not harder. Take your time and let grimy surfaces, like the ones in your bathroom and kitchen, soak in your cleaning solution. Work on something else on your list while your cleaner does the hard work
- Reward yourself for a job well done
- Having something to look forward to at the end of a long day of cleaning sure makes things go faster. Plus, you worked hard and deserve it. Treat yourself!