If you’re on the hunt for festive family activities this Canada Day, look no further! We’ve compiled a list of events across the Lower Mainland that promise fun for the whole family. Special attention has been given to city-sponsored happenings in Surrey, White Rock, and Langley. Plus, we’ve curated a selection of other engaging activities that you can enjoy at home or within your community, ensuring both safety and celebration.
The City of Surrey is known for putting on a great Canada Day celebration. Like most municipalities, they have gone virtual with their event this year. Despite moving into the digital space once again, the City of Surrey has an impressive line up of musical acts and entertainment. Some of the headline acts include Buffy Sainte-Marie, Walk Off the Earth, Jim Cuddy Bedouin Soundclash, Nick Gilder & Sweeney Todd, JoJo Mason and others. CLICK HERE for the full line up.
This event will feature a land acknowledgement from Kwantlen First Nation, as well as Indigenous cultural sharing from Semiahmoo First Nation, Kwantlen First Nation and more.
Virtual Surrey Canada Day will also showcase music and dance performances, a “Family Show” for kids and seniors, arts & crafts, special guest appearances, a Surrey Honda live car raffle, and a virtual firework finale to end the night. Plus, viewers can be entered to win over $2,000 of prizes during the livestream!
The City of White Rock is celebrating Canada Day this year with the theme “White Rock Together”. The Virtual Canada Day by the Bay celebration will include performances by country band The Heels, pop duo Fionn and improv comedy group Hilarapy. The headline show will feature the White Rock City Orchestra performing O Canada. You can participate in the online Canadian Trivia challenge with a live leaderboard with exciting prizes. There will also be a Canada-themed virtual photo booth available throughout the day. You can find out more about the event HERE.
Get creative at home with free printables for your kids to enjoy! The Township of Langley is offering a variety of printable colouring sheets, crafts, recipes and more for Canada Day 2021. You can check out all the projects HERE. You can also enjoy their virtual celebration with entertaining live performances from local musicians. CLICK HERE for more information on this upcoming event. The will also have a free scavenger hunt that you can take part in around Langley. This app will be available on June 28th onwards and you can find out more about this interactive activity by clicking HERE.
Some Other Ideas:
- Visit a local park, lake or beach with your family. Bring supplies to spend the day enjoying the sunshine, BBQ-ing and soaking up the lively atmosphere. Be sure to practice social distancing and pack lots of sunblock!
- CBC has a great map of Canada puzzle that you can print at home. Set this craft up outside for your kids, the perfect afternoon activity! CLICK HERE to check out the project and necessary supplies.
- Explore the Canadian arts with your kids. Create a playlist of music by Canadian artists, watch a Canadian movie or tv show and explore art by Canadian artists.
- Create chalk art in red and white on the sidewalk. Bring your camp chairs, cold drinks and relax outside while your kids create festive artwork.
- Have a Canada Day inspired waffle or pancake breakfast complete with real Canadian Maple Syrup! Consider topping your breakfast with strawberries and whipped cream to incorporate the Canadian flag colours.
We hope you enjoyed this list of activities for Canada Day 2021. Wishing everyone a safe & happy Canada Day Long Weekend! – The Kim Phillips Real Estate Team